Friday, August 30, 2013

When Ms Chamko fell ill and it wasn't common cold

Those who have been following me (I'm still not able to decide whether I'm a religion or a cult), would know that I have a special liking for common cold. 

Runny nose and watery eyes are not met with tender loving care at home, but by "take your meds" at home.  While I argue that there is no medicine for common cold, my dad refuses to see my logic. 

But last Saturday, I had pain in my right knee when I woke up.  Hmm. Must have hurt myself somewhere.  Because I am an honorary doctor from WebMD, I immediately sprayed some relispray and popped in an ibuprofen because hey, OTC meds are awesome that way.  "What if I have chikungunya? LOL" I joked with my mom.  Mom replied with a "chup nonsense" look on her face.

Day passed by ok, but when I got back home, the pain returned and such that I could not stand.  Now pain was on both the feet and I was feeling the chills.  I pulled a blanket over my head and lied down at 7:30 in the evening.  In the meantime, dad got home and despite my protests (no, no, I'm ok (I was not ok)) we went to see a doctor. 

One look at me and doctor says it's viral.  He probably possessed some sort of divya drashti.  He prescribed paracetamol for the pain in my body and mild fever (It was about 99 when he measured it) and said if the fever still stays the next day, to get tested for malaria and chikungunya.

Got home, took the meds, and by 10, I started sweating, like you would after taking a damned paracetamol.  I felt so relieved.  Like I could run a double marathon or something. #wheeee

But then at 4, I started shivering.  Speed of fan went from 3 to 2 and from 2 to 1 in half an hour.  Body temperature went from 98 to 99 to 100 to 101, progressing every hour.  In the meantime, the parts of my body - fingers, arms, chest, back, neck, knees, shins, ankles and foot were in tremendous pain.  It took me 15 minutes to walk down from my room.  By the time I could walk down, dad had already called for the pathology lab to come and collect blood.

And who likes getting their blood tested? I hate it. It is one of the scariest things ever. :( Why would anyone with a sane mind let anyone with a needle come near them? The fever remained steady at around 101 for a while, but once the results came in that I tested negative for chikungunya and malaria, it came down.  I spent most of my sunday sleeping.

After Sunday, fever hasn't reached 101 level, but going back to work hasn't been easy.  For my 3rd floor office, I not only take the elevator to go up, but also to come down. 

There is still some swelling on my hands and feet, but I am in a much better position than last week.  Oh, and the meds have created some sort of storm in my stomach. Will spare you the details, though.

I just want this pain to go away. I promise I'll be a good girl. and not make fun of Digvijay Singh, Rahul Gandhi and all.

Good day and kick to the virus for making my one last week miserable.

1 comment:

Reshma said...

Get well soon dear...

God bless you.