Wednesday, January 21, 2015

24 hours without phone

So last week my phone decided to switch itself off at will.  It had been bothering me off and on for a month but the entire week last week was super frustrating.  It took me about six hours to figure out a pattern.  If the pressure on the power button to tun on the screen was less or more than optimal pressure, the phone would switch itself off.

It was frustrating especially when I wanted to click pictures of food and birds taking shower in the bowl of water we kept for drinking especially when one bird attacked a squirrel when it wanted to drink water from same bowl.

It was frustrating in general because if I'm bored at work and wanted to go through Twitter or post other awesome observations, and I would turn on the screen only to realise the stupid phone was switched off since a while (and I don't even know how long).

So finally I gave in to the frustration (I prayed every day to God that please please please let the phone be alright and I will do whatever you tell me to - well, God didn't listen to my prayer - not gonna listen to whatever He asks me to do now - maybe it was God's little way of teaching life lessons that 'lyf sux, lol' or something like that) and took the phone to LG service centre.

Since it was out of warranty, the dude even told me that if motherboard has gone mad, I may need to replace it which will cost me 13k. It's like I might as well get two new MotoEs with it and have four phones. (because dual sim and two phones - you guys, please don't make me explain jokes.)

Anyway, cutting long story short, I was without phone for a good 24 hours.  It made me a little cranky.  And also how much of a technology slave I am.

Like I could not tweet for the duration I was in office. Sure Twitter is accessible, but as a rule, keeping social media out of work computers. (Also, don't even remember how the web client works - who uses Twitter for web anyway?) That made me sad.

I had no access to phone numbers. I wanted to schedule a few appointments for today, and I could not because those damned numbers - who remembers them? Maybe a physical copy of numbers may be a good idea - need a minion to write down the numbers and decipher some names I have stored as "Babu Fruit" and "Vikas Zen" (okay, Vikas Zen may be the dude I've met in Zen cafe, and aah, no wonder I had forgotten his name. OMG. he must think I'm a horrible person when in fact I had just forgotten his name. :()

Anyway. No WhatsApp.  No texts. (when I did turn on the phone, I had some 8 WhatsApp conversations and zero text alerts - just goes out to show no one texts me. :( ) (sad also because of the 8 conversations, only 3 were from "people" and 1 was a good morning forward, and 1 was a message from Dad which he had forwarded and 3 were group messages which are muted - basically, no one loves me. :(

No alarm in the morning.  Because I don't have a clock in room - maybe I should get an old fashioned alarm clock for my room. Because you never know when your stupid phone ditches you.

And no calls. Like, no one even calls me. :( I am such a delight to talk to. Why wouldn't anyone call me? My phone has been functioning since last 2 hours now and not a single call. :(

Basically, 24 hours without phone taught me I can live without my phone.

And nobody loves me.

(yea, blaming it all on the hormones - already had 2 Nestlé Munch and 1 single finger KitKat)

Feel free to message me today and ask me to join you for a coffee on Friday, ok?

No comments: