Sunday, October 6, 2013

Waiting to be asked

"So what are your plans for Navratri?"

Even before the pitrupaksh/shradh gets over, every Gujarati worth his/her salt (omg. Dandi march/salt law. omg. I love connecting random things) gets asked this question.

Most of the times my answer is.. heh heh I don't dance.

Which is true.

Another fact is that I am a trained classical dancer.  I've learnt Bharatnatyam for 9 years and every Gujarati who takes birth, doesn't cry, but says, 'o haalo haalo'.  So basically, garba is not difficult.  No one can not know how to dance garba.  Except of course, if you are my dad: it is a delight to watch him attempt garba steps.

Anyhoo, coming back.  So why don't I go and enjoy the 9 night long dancing extravaganza?

Couple of reasons:

1.  I don't have a large group of friends.  Even if I did, I would not dance. I am too shy to dance. 

2.  I don't have proper navratri outfit. :( Since I never went out for garba, I never owned a proper navratri attire.  Also, I don't know how to dress up.  I don't know how women manage that.  I do not own make up (except kajal, that too gets smeared most of the times and I look like dakoo haseena or something)  I sometimes envy women who can carry off make up and pretty clothes and walk demurely, lady-like.

3.  Extreme sound on loudspeakers give me earache. :( and also headache at times.

4.  There are too many people. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PEOPLE? and why are they all out of their homes? ghar pe baitho yaar.

5. It is usually humid around this time of the year.  Humid, along with weirdest of bugs who get attracted to the loud lights.  Years ago, when I went to a garba place with my sister (because 'go, you dance well, you will have fun') I saw two flying cockroaches come and sit on the hairdo of a lady in front of me, and it has scarred me for life.  I am always on the lookout of flying things. :(

6.  No one has asked me to.  You know, if you've seen the movie Bollywood/Hollywood starring Rahul Khanna and Lisa Ray, there is this one scene where Rahul Khanna sees Dina Pathak (who plays his grandma) dance.  Lisa has got her to dance.  After the song, he tells Lisa, something like, "I've never seen her dance", to which she replies, "Maybe she was just waiting to be asked".

Maybe I am just waiting to be asked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tmare Badhai Tehvaar Ma Aawu Thai?