Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Onion Corriander Rice

Which is basically pulao made out of leftover corriander chutney. :P

You see, it was just me and my mom for lunch today, and since it was just me at home past two days, there were not many vegetables in the house.

I suggested I make some pulao for lunch.   You see, after the gas leak incident yesterday, best way to kick the stove fright was to cook something. 

So here's what you'll need to make this amazing pulao.

1 cup rice

1 1/2 cup water

1 onion, chopped

garam masala powder, red chilli powder, pinch of turmeric, salt

2 spoons curd

2 spoons corriander chutney.

1 spoon ghee

1 spoon ginger-garlic paste

Soak rice in water for about 2/3 hours.  Apparently, that is my mom's logic, because this is 'old rice'. I think that means rice stored during last year's season.

In a pressure cooker, heat some ghee.  Add chopped onions and let them become pink/transparent.  Add ginger-garlic paste and mix well.  Add the spices to it and mix well.  Add curd and mix well.  Lastly add corriander chutney and mix well.

Now, add the rice and 1 1/2 cup water.  And pressure cook it for 2/3 whistles.

Eat with curd, or plain.  It tastes yummeh even when it is eaten plain.

Things you may want to keep in mind:

1.  Ask your mother about rice:water proportion - they know better than the internet. :|

2.  You may want to see that you have closed the pressure cooker properly.  I didn't.  So a lot of steam went off and well, some rice got burnt and stuck on the bottom.  It was still pretty good.

3.  You could've added capsicum, beans, cauliflower, carrots, peas, potatoes and other veggies to it, but since I didn't have them at home, I didn't.  It may taste better with the veggies.  Especially capsicum.

Anyway, here's how it should look. (except the bottom part where it is burnt)

Hariyali Pulao
Okbai

No comments: