Thursday, November 22, 2012

Welcome home, Baby V!

Baby V
When we got to know my cousin's wife was expecting their second child, we were all excited.  No cynicism in the world can dampen celebration of a new life.  Their first child is a girl, my niece, who keeps making her presence felt on this blog sometimes.

Some said if they get a boy child, their family would be perfect.  The parents, however, wanted a second girl child because my cousin said he would never be able to love his son the way he loves his daughter.

For us, those who are emotionally stable, a healthy child was all that we prayed for.  The baby was due in December end, and everything was smooth.  Till my bhabhi went for a regular check up which showed the baby was lagging growth by 3 weeks.  She was advised high protein diet.  Apparently, the ayurvedic medicine she took on a relative's insistence brought her haemoglobin to 7.  I'm not sure what the connection is, but I don't know how can one be so stupid not to keep her doctor in loop about the medicines they take.

Anyway, so she was on bed rest because of lack of protein, iron and high blood pressure.  She went for few more tests the next day, and doctor asked her to get admitted.  She was 7 months pregnant.

While we all tried to think positively, deep down we were all worried.  Next 2 days were crucial.  Her pressure refused to stay normal and doctor decided to bring the baby into the world. 2 months premature.

Here is where another drama unfolds.  Bhabhi's parents get hold of "best timings" for delivery such that the baby would survive.  They also come up with "worst timings" which said the baby was doomed.  They even had the audacity to take it up with the doctor.  Doctor, in a filmy way, said, if I go by your timings, and if anything were to happen to baby and/or mother, would you take responsibility? He then walked away into the operation theatre and went ahead with the surgery.

The baby was immediately moved to the neonatal centre in the city.  No one, except my cousin had seen the baby till now.  The neonatal care people took a photograph for us and that is the photo we have seen.

Every day we prayed for her speedy recovery and quick discharge, because no one wants their baby kept in the hospital.

And then, on her 10th day, doctor called us.

Her heart had stopped beating, and she was on life support.  The 10 day old baby was on life support.

Remember how filmy doctors day it's all in God's hands? The doctor said the exact same words.  "Pray for her life, it's all up to God now."  And we prayed.

I am not sure of the power of alternate healing techniques, but we tried it all. She was not a feotus.  She had already breathed the air we breathe, seen the world, whatever bit she did.  That thing on ventilator was a child.

And after 48 hours, we got the fabulous news that she is taken off ventilator and is stable and reacting well to medication.  The Diwali, was truly a happy one.  The brightest diya on my rangoli this year was for her.

And then, things went smooth.  She was on Kangaroo Care, and started responding well.

Today, after 23 days, she is home. We have to take precautionary care because she would be more prone to infection than even normal infants, but we are glad she is home.

I've not seen her yet. 


dani said...

Naam shu che aanu?

dailygrinder1 said...

She'll grow up to be a wonderful person. Already showing the fight in her. Glad to see she's doing well.

Nirwa Mehta said...

:) Thank you!