Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Smell

Me: So have you met her?
Friend: No. But I don't know why, I think she must be smelling like fish.
[stunned silence followed by roaring laughter]

Funny thing was, now that he mentioned it, even I think she must be smelling like fish. And even I have not met her.

How can you imagine smell? I don't know, but I do.  It could be what they keep talking about or what they like doing. 

Like this friend of mine, who's a runner, I think he smells of deo.  Probably one of those adidas sports for men deo. And no, I've not met him either.

And some people must be definitely smelling of coconut hair oil.  I cannot take names here, because smelling like coconut hair oil may not really be a compliment.

I think Hogwarts must be smelling of lavender.

And then there are times when I smell sandalwood around me.  The faint smell that I have always associated with my grandmother, who passed away 9 years back.  Maybe it's just me imagining her presence.

I think Rome smells of moss.

And Italy smells of tomatoes.  And garlic.

South India smells of jasmine.

Doctors smell of hospitals.  Or surgical spirit.

I think this blog smells like coffee. Or chocolate.

Hmm. I think I'll go have a chocolate now.

ps : I don't normally understand poetry. But I liked this post by a friend. Have a look.

2 comments:

Reshma said...

Smells of fish...coz he/she eats fish ? :-)

Mirchi Laddoo said...

I don't know why it is but is just is.. For me Ghatkopar (a suburb in Mumbai) smells like home :)